Ever have a sudden craving for a tasty snack to tide you over from one meal to the next?
I regularly find my tummy growling around 3:00-3:30pm, though it’s not quite time for dinner yet. This recipe provides a simple and easily stored energy bite to sustain your blood sugar levels and prevent you from binging on sugary, unhealthy snacks.
These energy bites are so simple the whole family can get involved. The recipe is very forgiving, and modifications are fun to try. For example, you can use raisins instead of chocolate or add finely chopped pecans and skip the coconut. There are many variations of energy bites but I found this nutrient-packed combination tasty, simple to store, and easy to take on the run—and so a winner for me!
Tasty Energy Bites
- 1 cup oats (use gluten-free oats if needed)
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (optional, add a pinch of pink salt to the unsalted peanut butter to amplify flavor)
- 1/2 cup coconut (toast mine a few minutes longer first to provide a more nutty flavor)
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp runny honey
- Organise ingredients
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl
- Roll into bite size balls
- Cool in refrigerator until firm