This is an easy, nutritious salad that even your kids can prepare, our family makes this salad often and the children love it as a lunch or accompaniment to dinner.
Spinach and Black Bean Salad
- 1 package organic spinach
- 1 x 240 gram can of organic kidney beans well rinsed and drained
- 2 cloves of organic garlic finely chopped, or crushed
- 1 organic red onion sliced thinly
- 1 organic tomato or 10-12 organic cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1-2 organic lemons depending on size
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp or to taste of extra virgin olive oil
- Put the garlic, onion, juice of one lemon and salt into a ceramic salad bowl, don’t use metal as I find the lemon juice reacts to the metal.
- Let that sit for 10 minutes while you prepare your other ingredients the lemon will “cook “the garlic and onion making them less pungent (and you will notice the lemon juice turn slightly pink due to the onion color bleeding out).
- After 10 minutes add all of the of the other ingredients stir together, taste, season as you like you may find you like a more lemony salad or one with a little more olive oil.
Don’t be afraid to experiment to get the taste to what you will enjoy!