Sure, it may be easy to pick up a small container of hummus from the grocery shelf, but few realise how easy it is to quickly whip up a batch of delcious humous at home. A few minutes is all it takes to make yourself a fresh batch that you can season to suit to your taste…and perhaps even save you a trip out to the grocery store.
- 200g/7oz canned chickpeas, or dried chickpeas soaked and cooked
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or more if needed
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 100ml tahini (sesame seed paste) optional
- 4 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- Drain the chickpeas and rinse. Reserve a few whole chick peas for serving.
- Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini, and water in a food processor and blend to a creamy purée.
- Add more lemon juice, garlic, cumin or salt to taste.
- Turn out into a dinner plate and make smooth with the back of a spoon.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and scatter with the reserved chickpeas.