This is a perfect meal for a a summer day. It doesn’t require much in the way of preparation and is very versatile to incorporate vegetables you have on hand. Fresh and crispy with a spicy kick, hard to go wrong with this salad! It is a firm family favourite and can easily be made vegan by omitting the fish oil and swapping out the prawns for roasted chickpeas. Enjoy!
Vietnamese Inspired Prawn Salad
- Chopping board, frying pan
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small piece ginger
- 1 bunch coriander (cilantro)
- 1 whole Thai chili *optional
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 tsp fish oil
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup water *may need less or more water to get desired consistency of dressing
- pinch sea salt
- 1 head sweetheart cabbage
- 1/2 one cucumber
- 12 head lettuce
- 10 spears asparagus
- 1/2 one red pepper
- 2 whole carrots
- 1 cup mangetout
- 12 whole tiger prawns
- 1/2 2 cloves chopped garlic from salad dressing *chop ginger, garlic, corriander all at once then split between salad dressing and prawn marinade
- 1/4 small piece chopped ginger from salad dressing
- 1/4 small bunch chopped coriander from salad dressing
- 1/2 whole chopped chili from salad dressing *or less if desired
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Mince ginger, garlic and coriander together divide into two bowls, one for the dressing, one for the prawn marinade.
- Whisk next 6 ingredients into a small bowl, then add ginger, garlic and coriander to the mix add a pinch of sea salt then set aside.
- Chop and thinly slice the cabbage, lettuce, red pepper and mange tout.
- Chop asparagus into 1/2 inch pieces
- Grate the carrots
- De-seed and chop the cucumber
- Take chopped ginger, garlic, coriander and mix together with finely chopped Thai chilli. Clean the prawns and cover with the marinade in a small bowl.
- Heat a frying pan to medium high heat, add 1 tbsp coconut oil. Place the prawns in a single layer in the frying pan and cook until opaque approx. 2 minutes. Put check your prawns as cooking time depends on prawn size and frying pan temperature.
Putting it all Together
- Toss the salad ingredients with the dressing. Add any finishing touches such as chopped coriander or more chili. Divide onto serving plates (2 or 3 depending on size) Place an even amount of prawns onto each salad. Enjoy!!!