With Mother’s Day right around the corner and many people facing limited time and or money here are some easy do it yourself gift ideas that are sure to please any mum. These ideas can easily be done by older children on their own and younger children can pitch in a helping hand!
1) Lavender scented bath salts
A few simple ingredients and mum can have a relaxing bath!
- 1 cup of sea salt
- 1 cup Epsom salt
- 2 tablespoons bicarbonate of soda
- Approx. 15 drops of lavender essential oil.( if your mum prefers another scent such as rose or vanilla add that instead)
- Mix the salts and bicarbonate in a glass bowl add your scented oil and mix again. That’s it!
- Store your salts in a glass jar, a jam jar or any other clean jar you have is fine. You can decorate the jar with paint or ribbons or whatever you think your mum will like.
2) Plant some flowers in the garden
- Use old rubber boots if you have them, or re-purpose old glass jars (rubber boots look cute in the garden if you have a pair that have been outgrown)
- Fill the boots (or jar) with potting soil and plant the flowers or plants of your choice.
- It is fun to paint or decorate the boots or jars with eyes and smiles or whatever you think mum will like.
3) A delicious strawberry mango smoothie
- 4-5 organic Strawberries
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ a mango sliced
- 1 small banana
- 1 handful of ice
- Mix all the ingredients together until creamy and smooth then serve to mum!
4) Coffee body scrub
Coffee is full of antioxidants that will help soften and exfoliate mum’s skin while she soaks in a relaxing bath or she can also use this scrub in the shower.
- 1 cup ground coffee
- 1 cup sugar or salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Melt coconut oil and allow it to cool but not solidify.
- Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container or mason jar.
- Use 1-2 times a week (or every day if you like).
(recipe adapted from thecoconutmama.com)
5) I Love You Jar
This last idea is a little more time consuming but is something your mum is sure to love as it takes some thinking about what makes your mum special to you. All you need is a glass jar, some paper and a pen.
- Cut up paper into 365 pieces and write down 365 things you love about your mom.
- It can be very simple but think about things that make your mom special.
- Be as creative as you like you can use coloured paper cut it into many different sizes to fit in the jar, different coloured ink to write, decorate the jar in mum’s favorite colours etc.
- Get mum to choose one paper to read per day for year to be reminded of how much you love her!
Happy Mother’s Day!!