This year has been a very strange and difficult one. Going back to school is no exception to this, it will be different than it has been in past years. There will undoubtably be rules around social distancing, more hand washing and different ways of interacting with friends. All of which will be new and perhaps a little intimidating to children.
One way you can inject some fun and familiarity into their day is with their lunch! A packed lunch is a little bit of home that children can look forward to each day. Have fun with it and get creative, there is much more to a packed lunch then a cheese sandwich!
Here are some simple suggestions to get you started
- Pack a burrito bowl box – Add cooked rice, chicken or black beans (or both) top with guacamole and salsa and some grated cheese. Throw a few tortilla chips in and you are done!
- Quesadilla- instead of a traditional sandwich make a quesadilla. It may sound tricky but it is very easy to put together, Fill half a tortilla with your desired filling (the choices are endless, beans, chicken, roasted veg) add some grated cheese to hold it all together. Place the filled wrap into a heated dry frying pan and crisp the shell on both sides, cut into wedges and put in the lunch box. These quesadillas go well with sliced avocado, chopped carrots or sweet potato crisps.
- Pasta salad- use cold pasta and pesto as the base to the salad. Depending on what your child likes to eat add some toppings. I find cucumber, cherry tomatoes and black olives go well. Add some chopped vegetables on the side.
- Peanut butter and banana wrap. Smoother a whole wheat wrap with natural peanut butter and a whole banana to the middle of the wrap, fold it and cut in half. A great side to this is fresh berries and natural yogurt.
- Do a breakfast for lunch swap- Have a hard-boiled egg, mini pancakes, fresh fruit and natural yogurt instead of a traditional lunch. This one will keep the kids smiling!
Don’t be afraid to have fun and get creative with your children’s lunchboxes. Get your children involved with brainstorming ideas, they may come up some great ideas you haven’t thought of yet!