These 3 recipes are easy to make and require little in the way of cooking skills. If you are starting to try and eat healthier but just don’t know where to start, try these recipes. They are all packed full of nutrients, made using mainly unprocessed ingredients and are flexible enough to cater to your tastes.
Healthy food does not need to be boring or flavourless it can be bright, vibrant and delicious.
Once you start creating and enjoying healthy food you may find that you have more energy, you sleep better, and you may even lose some weight!
I am a believer that cooking should be fun, flexible and simple. Don’t be afraid to put your own twist on any recipe you try. The goal is to enjoy the process towards a healthier lifestyle.
- Home-made granola . Have you noticed how expensive it is to buy good quality granola that is not full of things you don’t want to eat such as glucose or fructose syrup or lots of added unnecessary sugar and salt? It is incredibly easy to make your own granola and it requires no fancy ingredients or kitchen equipment.
- 500 grams oats
- 200 grams chopped nuts
- 150 grams unsweetened coconut
- 100 grams pumpkin seeds if you don't have add any seed or omit
- 1 tbsp flax seed omit or add a few more nuts if you don't have
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 grams maple syrup
- 200 grams coconut oil
- Mix dry ingredients together in a big bowl and stir
- Add the coconut oil and maple syrup
- Stir until it starts to stick together add more oil of syrup if needed.
- Bak eat a low heat. I use around 100 Celsius or a bit lower. I like the lower setting as I find that it works like a dehydration process making the granola nice and crunchy. Cook for approx. 1 hour. Turn mid-way through cooking moving the crunchy corners in and the middle out.
- Let the granola cool completely and store in an air tight container.
- Half 1/2 a cup of granola as a serving size and top with lots of fresh or frozen berries and a nut milk!
2. Avocado Toast Sounds simple right? It is! Avocado toast is a great way to kick start your day, or perfect for a pick me up snack. Avocados offer you healthy fats they are also rich in anti-inflammatory properties and are packed full of nutrients. Avocado toast can pair with many things to kick it up a bit, try adding an egg, fresh chilli or roasted tomatoes to liven it up. You can use any bread for your toast but in an effort to eat healthier try and avoid the highly processed white breads available. Look for bread that has few ingredients on the label. I like to use sourdough or rye bread, they both taste great with avocado.
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 piece bread
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 pinch of salt
- Toast your bread
- mash the avocado with the juice of the lemon juice and add the salt
- Put together add add topping of choice or not!
3. Good morning green smoothie Now don’t ignore this one! I know for people who are not accustomed to a green smoothie the thought of having one can be off putting, but they are really delicious and full of amazing nutrients your body will love!! Try this recipe as your base but modify it to your liking after you get the idea of what you would like it to taste like. This recipe calls for plant-based protein powder, if you don’t have any just add a tsp of peanut or any nut butter, or a few nuts. Same goes for the yogurt and milk just use what suits you and your diet best.
Good Morning Green Smoothie
- 2 cups washed organic spinach
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/4 cup soy or any yogurt
- 1 scoop soy protein powder any protein powder if you don't have protein powder add a tsp of nut butter or a handful of nuts
- 1/2 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 2 ice cubes
- Blend all together and enjoy!
I hope these recipes give you a platform on which to launch your healthy eating goals. As you continue forward in journey remember it is not all or nothing! Every step you take towards a healthier lifestyle is a successful step!