This week’s Vegetarian Teen Tuesday recipe is Veggie Pad Thai. This is another one of my daughter’s favourite dinners as she loves anything with noodles almost as much as she enjoys Mexican inspired food!
This dish is very simple to make and combines some superfood ingredients such as garlic and ginger. Garlic and ginger both have amazing properties.
Allicin in garlic which is a potent antioxidant and aids in blood sugar and blood pressure regulation
Not to be outdone ginger also offers some strong benefits such as combating indigestion and enhancing immune function.
Don’t be put off by the amount of ingredients in this recipes. Everything comes together very quickly and with a little vegetable prep before you start cooking you can be chopping board to plate in under 30 minutes!
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- Thumb sized piece of ginger chopped
- ½- 1 chopped red chilli
- 1 chopped red onion
- 1 head of Chinese cabbage chopped
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 handful of coriander chopped
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 cup baby corn chopped to bitesize
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 2 salad onions sliced
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs fish oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 package rice noodles approx 200 grams (this was enough for 4 of us)
- or for a low carb option use courgette noodles
- Soak the rice noodles in hot water for about 20 minutes or until softened. Rinse when done. If using courgette noodles skip this step and add the courgette at the last few minutes of cooking to soften,
- Mix the marinade ingredients and set aside
- Add the onion to a frying pan and cook until softened use a bit of oil if needed. Next and garlic and chilli and cook until fragrant then add the garlic and cook a further minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic as it will taste bitter.
- Add all of the cabbage, half the chopped amount of the rest of the vegetables (half only as the other half will be added fresh to the dish for a little crunch)
- Add the marinade.
- Once the cabbage has wilted and the veggies have softened add the noodles and warm all together.
- Transfer to 4 warm bowls and garish with leftover fresh vegetables. Enjoy!