This week for Vegetarian Teen Tuesday my daughter helped to make a veggie taco salad (her favorite meal) with black beans and sweet potato. The rest of the family had the same salad base but added grilled organic chicken fillet on top and opted out of the sweet potato. Preparing one meal and adding a vegetarian option is easier then making separate meals for everyone!
Salads are a great option for vegetarians because protein based foods can be easily added making the meal more substantial. This week her salad contained black beans which added protein and fiber. The addition of a sweet potato gave it lovely texture and added antioxidants and slow releasing carbohydrates.
This recipe was quick to make it although it involves some chopping of vegetables. Once the prep is done everything comes together quite quickly. Here’s how you can make it;
- Roast a sweet potato in the oven at 180 Fahrenheit, for 20 -25 minutes or until tender, let it cool.
- Chop 1/2 a head of romaine lettuce, then place it in your serving bowl then make the dressing for the salad;
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- the juice of 1 lime
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- pour the dressing over the lettuce and toss together
- Rinse ½ can black beans and then season with;
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. chili powder (optional depending on if you like spice)
- Place the black beans on the dressed salad
- Make a quick Pico de Gallo (don’t skip this as it adds a burst of flavor)
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 handful chopped coriander
- ½ chopped red onion
- juice of 1-2 limes
- pinch of salt, mix together and place on salad
5. Chop the cooled sweet potato and place on the salad
Garnish the salad with ½ a chopped avocado and a spoonful of sour cream, tortilla chips and sprinkle of cheese! Enjoy!